Saturday, November 12, 2011

Blogging in the Classroom

As I said, I have a lot of ideas that blogging could be useful in the classroom. One of those ideas is for developing writing. For example, before reading a specific story or book we will discuss in the classroom, or an event of history like the America's Discovery, I would use blogging to post the main problem of what we will discuss in class, so they can give it their own solution.

Let me give a more specific example. We will read the story of Robin Hood (just to give an example I am sure everyone knows about), but they will not know that yet (they could get ahead). I would give them this question in the blog to react to it: "If you notice that rich people are getting everything, and people by your community are starving, what would you do to help your people if you could use all the means available?" To add to this, after reading the story, I would ask them how they would change the end of the story, or how they believe the setting of the story would have made a difference to it.

These are fast thoughts of all the possibilities of blogging in the classroom. What do you think of them and how else would you improve it?

6 comments:

  1. Hello Naida,
    I see that we share the same passion for writing. I think one way you could also use blogs in your writing is to have your students use it as a showcase for their best writing piece. They could also use blogs as a means of understanding the characters of the story. They could do this by hot seating on the blog. One student pretends to be Robin Hood and all the others create questions for him and he would answer as best as he could while pretending to be Robin Hood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an excellent idea. I am thinking that could apply to any of the other important characters of the story. Hmm, that would be also excellent for social studies when working on emperors and ancient societies emperors. Thanks for your suggestion, Michelle, it is excellent. And yes, I love writing. I believe that one of the most important skills to acquire is writing. After all, as we are seeing here, it is one of the most common media we are using to communicate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is right. We all have to write. It will help to develop critical thinking skills as well. Social skills will be catered to as students take turns to comment, read and respond to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that your ideas are great. I agree that students will be able to showcase their best work as well as have the students edit each other work. I hope that it goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are both right. I believe a lot in collaborative work, and blogging gives a wonderful opportunity for students to learn together developing their critical thinking skills.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Naida,
    I love your blog ideas. What a great way to engage students and ignite interest in the story. It might be interesting to post a photo related to the story and have students respond. I often distribute a simple rubric (that the class can help create) so everyone has a good sense of the expectations for blogging.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete